Creating a PowerPoint presentation can be an effective way to clearly communicate your ideas. The purpose of a PowerPoint is to complement and reinforce the information in your presentation. The screen should not take the focus away from you. Please keep in mind a few basic tips for making your presentation interesting and effective:
- Using an MMSD PowerPoint template is an easy way to include the MMSD logo in your presentation.
- Each template has a title slide and various content slide layouts to accommodate different types of content.
- Keep it short - if your audience gets bored and stops paying attention, the presentation loses its effectiveness.
- Keep a consistent design to your slides. Don't use a different color scheme or font for each slide. Make each slide look like it belongs in your presentation.
- Support the headline with graphic elements. Pictures or graphs can be so much more effective in supporting your ideas than just bulleted text.
- When using graphs and charts remember that the simpler and bigger the graph, the better.
- Put the big ideas on the screen with as few words as possible. The details should go in the handout materials you provide to your audience.
Click on the image to download a sample PowerPoint presentation
Creating an effective PowerPoint presentation
Effective PowerPoint Slides
Clip Art and graphics
Note: PowerPoint presentations can also be saved in HTML format and inserted into a web page.
Do you have questions about the toolkit? Contact the Communications Department